Markus Willoughby is relentless in the pursuit of excellence. He is an award winning trial lawyer who is recognized for his tenacity as an advocate and his law changing successes in the courtroom. He continually seeks to develop and refine strategies that will help achieve outstanding outcomes for his clients.
Mr. Willoughby focuses his practice on medical malpractice, personal injury and other injury-related lawsuits and has earned a reputation for success in these complex cases. Mr. Willoughby is a Trial Lawyer's trial lawyer. Other lawyers throughout California frequently turn to Mr. Willoughby for guidance on complex legal matters or seek his assistance when they need to go into a courtroom.
His medical malpractice victory in Keys v. Alta Bates Summit Medical Center created a blueprint for individuals to successfully bring claims for negligent infliction of emotional distress claims against doctors and hospitals. His formula is being taught to attorneys around the country and Mr. Willoughby has received widespread acclaim from his peers.
Some of his accomplishments include:
Nomination for Trial Lawyer of the Year in 2013 and 2014 by the San Francisco Trial Lawyers Association.
Received the coveted Civil Justice Award in 2014 from the San Francisco Trial Lawyer's Association for "fighting the good fight for his clients every day."
Is repeatedly selected as a Northern California SuperLawyer "Top 5%" of Attorneys in Northern California.
Received the CLAY AWARD 2016 California "Attorney of the Year" for Medical Malpractice.
Is a member of the National Trial Lawyer's Top 100 Attorney's
AVVO 10.0 Rating "Superb Attorney in Medical Malpractice"
AV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell "Peer Rated for the highest Level of Professional Excellence."
Mr. Willoughby is a Board Member of the San Francisco Trial Lawyer's Association, which is dedicated to the education of the legal community. He has been the chairperson for the annual Mock Trial Competition for the last 5 years, mentors students and young lawyers, is a frequent author on matters relevant to the ever changing and complex legal community and lectures at continuing legal education courses. Mr. Willoughby is the 2020 President of the San Francisco Trial Lawyers Association.
- Case Western Reserve University Law School, Cleveland, Ohio
- J.D. - 1995
- Honors: Nathan Burkan Award
- Honors: Governor's Commendation
- California State University
- Honors: With High Honors
- Major: Philosophy
Classes & Seminars
- Mock Trial, San Francisco Trial Lawyers Association, 2013 to Present
- Mastering the Mini Opening, San Francisco Trial Lawyers Association, 2019
- Seminars in retaining and using expert witnesses, Voir Dire, deconstructing the defense expert witness and trial tactics
- President of the San Francisco Trial Lawyer's Association, 2020 to Present
- Board Member of the San Francisco Trial Lawyer's Association, 2010 to Present
- Pinning Down the Medical Expert in Failure to Diagnose Cases, Plaintiff Magazine, 2014
- Navigating Negligent Infliction of Emotional Distress After Keyes vs. Alta Bates, Plaintiff Magazine , 2015
- Winning the Battle of Experts, San Francisco Daily Journal, Oct.28, 2016
- The Art of Selection and Use of Expert Witnesses, Plaintiff Magazine, 2017
- Frequent contributor to the Trial Lawyer Magazine, Quarterly article as president, as well as commentary as Board Member
- Common Pleas Court of Ohio, Arbitrator
- Alameda County Bar Association, Member
- Executive Committee of the Barristers, Member
- San Francisco Trial Lawyers Association, Board of Directors, 2020
- San Francisco Trial Lawyers Association, Treasurer
- Alameda-Contra Costa Medical Association, Inter-professional Committee, Chairperson
Current Employment Position
- Founding Partner
- Medical Malpractice 95%
- Personal Injury 5%
- Ohio, 1995
- California, 1998
- U.S. District Court Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of California
- Trial Lawyer of the Year Nominee 2014 and 2015, San Francisco Trial Lawyers Association
- Civil Justice Award, SFTLA
- Top 5% Attorneys, Northern California Super Lawyers
- Member, National Trial Lawyer's Top 100 Attorney's
- California Lawyer Attorney of the Year Award, California Lawyers Magazine
- AV Rated, Martindale-Hubbell
- AVVO 10.0 Rated
- Chairperson, Annual Mock Trial Competition
- Keys v. Alta Bates Summit Medical Center, (2015) 235 Cal App. 4th 484, Contra Costa