Unexpected Errors In The Labor Or Delivery Room Result In Birth Injuries
The day a baby is born should be a joyous and exciting time for the entire family. Sometimes, it can be devastating. Births do not always happen as expected, and while these events cannot always be prevented, there are too many instances in which something goes wrong due to the negligence of the attending physicians and other health care workers in the delivery room. When these mistakes happen and a child is harmed as a result, it is important that parents understand that they can file a medical malpractice claim against the negligent party to recover the compensation they need. Willoughby Law Firm, Inc., can help.
Common Types Of Birth Injuries
There are many different types of birth injuries that can occur during the birthing process. These injuries typically result from medical negligence and can occur before or during labor, which is why they fall under the category of medical malpractice. The most common birth injuries include:
- Complications with vaginal birth after a woman has had a previous C-section
- Injury resulting from improper use of vacuum suction or forceps
- Cerebral palsy
- Shoulder dystocia
- Broken bones suffered by the infant
- Erb’s Palsy
- Brain damage
- Pitocin-related injuries
- Problems with the umbilical cord
- Hypoxic-ischemic encephalopathy
- Brachial plexus injury
These are just a few of the most common types of birth injuries. Any time a child is born with a birth injury, the parents should speak to an experienced birth injury attorney as soon as possible.
Common Causes Of Birth Injuries
Although birth injuries are often caused by a health care professional’s negligence, that negligence can take on many different forms. Some of the most common include:
- A failure to follow proper protocols and procedures
- Failing to properly monitor and record the baby’s vital signs
- Failing to identify signs of fetal distress so the problem can be corrected
- A delay or other mistakes made during a C-section
- Failing to deal with complications during delivery in a timely manner
- Being unable to identify an abnormal situation
Did Your Child Suffer A Birth Injury? Call Willoughby Law Firm.
If your child has suffered a birth injury, you likely need compensation to pay for the associated costs of that injury. A birth injury attorney knows how to fight for the rights of you and your child. Markus Willoughby has extensive experience with birth injury cases and has had substantial success with these claims. He wants to put that experience to work for you and your family, too. Call 415-870-2778 to schedule a free consultation with him and to learn more about how he can help.